This weekend I helped a client with a particularly awful upgrade from Team Foundation Server 2005 to TFS 2008. Eventually, I got TFS working and decided to test out creating a new Team Project. At that point, I found out that SharePoint (WSS 3.0) wasn’t working properly.
Here’s the error message that showed up on the screen and in the project creation log:
TF30162: Task “SharePointPortal” from Group “Portal” failed
Exception Type: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.PcwException
Exception Message: The Project Creation Wizard encountered an error while uploading documents to the Windows SharePoint Services server on dell_server3.
Exception Details: The Project Creation Wizard encountered a problem while uploading
documents to the Windows SharePoint Services server on dell_server3.
The reason for the failure cannot be determined at this time.
Because the operation failed, the wizard was not able to finish
creating the Windows SharePoint Services site.
In the event log on the server, I was getting errors from SharePoint saying:
Windows SharePoint Services version 2 templates are not supported in this version of the product.
I found the answer in this thread on MSDN.
It looks like the SharePoint Services 2.0 to WSS3.0 upgrade didn’t fully work and sometimes you have to do some manual steps.
- On the server hosting SharePoint, open a command prompt (cmd.exe)
- Go to c:program filescommon filesMicrosoft Sharedweb server extensions12bin. (NOTE: if you only have c:program filescommon filesMicrosoft Sharedweb server extensions60bin but not 12bin, your WSS3.0 install didn’t work and you need to re-download and re-run the installer.)
- Type stsadm -o enumtemplates to list all the templates in SharePoint. You should see two templates VSTS_MSFAgile and VSTS_MSF_CMMI. You need to delete these templates and re-upload them.
- Type stsadm -o deletetemplate -title VSTS_MSFAgile to delete the template
- Type stsadm -o deletetemplate -title VSTS_MSF_CMMI to delete the template
- Type Stsadm.exe -o addtemplate -filename “C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation ServerToolsTemplatesMSFAgile30.stp” -title VSTS_MSFAgile to re-upload the 3.0 version of the MSF for Agile template
- Type Stsadm.exe -o addtemplate -filename “C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation ServerToolsTemplatesMSFFormal30.stp” -title VSTS_MSF_CMMI to re-upload the 3.0 version of the MSF for CMMI template
You should now be able to create a team project.
— Looking for help installing, adopting, customizing, or upgrading Team Foundation Server? Contact me via www.benday.com.